Categories : Activity Instructor
Location : United Kingdom, Birmingham
Start Date : ASAP
The Salary : £8.20 per hour
The Bear Grylls Adventure is a brand new attraction due to open in Autumn 2018 and is a world first attraction of its kind.
Nick Varney, CEO Merlin Entertainments, said: “The Bear Grylls Adventure is a one of a kind attraction – bringing together Bear, one of the most celebrated and recognised faces of survival and outdoor adventure, and Merlin’s expertise in creating fantastic, memorable experiences for guests and families across the world.
“In a project that has taken nearly two years in the creation, Bear has been involved in each step of the attraction’s development – from the initial concept, to providing expertise and insight into the challenges. The market for adventure-based activities has incredible potential. Our research shows that nine out of ten young adults* are actively seeking adventure and challenge experiences, and this trend is set to continue.”
Visitors to The Bear Grylls Adventure can choose their greatest challenges from incredible headline activities, which include – Dive, Climb, iFLY (indoor skydiving) and the highest free-roam high ropes in Europe. In addition guests will be given entry to Basecamp, where everyone can learn and practice the skills needed for any great adventure in a selection of four group and individual challenges.
Challenges come in all shapes and sizes, from conquering small spaces, heights, the dark or facing creatures head to head. By testing focus and control, by learning a new skill or pushing stamina and drive with a new activity, adventurers will be able to test self-belief and physical and mental agility.
Bear Grylls said: “I have been so lucky to experience some of the toughest environments and challenges the world has to offer. When your greatest fears are laid bare, you have to keep your nerve and dig deep. That “never give up spirit” is what I hope to inspire in as many people as possible through this huge endeavour. The scale of challenges that can be found at Bear Grylls Adventure are truly mind blowing and it allows millions of others to find the courage and tenacity to conquer their own Everest.”
For more information please visit www.beargryllsadventure.com
A Typical Day in the Job
• Assists in operating the High Ropes and Climb elements of The Bear Grylls Adventure – encompassing two Hero Activities. High Ropes involves a zip line and a 5 storey High Ropes course, Climb involves bouldering, limited cave elements and a combination of ply and modelled rock climbing walls, with each hero activity lasting 60 minutes.
• Operationally supports the Leap of Faith upsell element of The Bear Grylls Adventure High Ropes course.
• Assist guests to put on all required climbing equipment, and then instruct them through each experience. Assist in equipment removal, storage, cleaning and maintenance.
• Ensures that all guests have the very best experience while passing through each element of the High Ropes and Climb activities in the very safest, fun and timely manner.
• Ensures that the High Ropes and Climb areas are presented and maintained to the highest standards at all times.
• Support efforts to ensure visitors and employees are in a clean and safe environment that meets health & safety standards as set by company as well as local rules and regulations at all times.
• Supports the Tech team with any maintenance and safety checks of the High Ropes and Climb elements of the attraction.
• Adopts an enthusiastic, assertive and passionate approach to Customer Service, and demonstrates the Merlin Way at every opportunity.
• To be fully versed in all crisis and evacuation procedures and be able to confidently assist guests to evacuate if required.
• Strictly follows company standards of Health & Safety at all times.
Who are we looking for?
Previous High Ropes/Climbing experience ideally at instructor level within a similar attraction or outdoor experience, however full training will be provided
Knowledge of outdoor activity centre maintenance a plus – high ropes, zip wires etc
Working at height experience desirable
Passionate about climbing and ensuring all of our guests have an amazing experience
Health and Safety is your number 1 priority
What we can offer you
This is a brand new and truly exciting attraction - be part of the action!